Monday, June 4, 2012

All Good Colts Grow Up to be Broncos

 Just to chronicle this for posterity...
I am the daughter of a Denver Broncos original season ticket holder. My entire life has been conducted, for the most part, in front of an orange and blue football backdrop, but there were definite moments in life when the Broncos weren't the backdrop, but the forefront. Many, many moments. My father was a Broncos lovah. And once I was of an appropriate age, I followed suit. I've rooted for clothing all my life, particularly orange and blue clothing, and whomever wears it. My exile in California was pure frustration, largely because that gentleman pictured below, my hero of all time, Mr. John Elway, finally got his Super Bowl ring, and capped off his career with yet another.  Imagine my chagrin upon moving back to Denver, only to have Jay Cutler at the helm. Then Kyle Orton, for criminy's sake. And then, like a ray of heavenly sunshine through the clouds, they played Tebow. As a lark. To shut up the fan base. Who then, in a wildly improbable manner, propelled our boys to many last-minute and inexplicable wins. Took us to the 2nd round of the playoffs, even.
 We were thrilled with our Timmy. What he lacked in ability he more than made up with leadership, humility, guts, determination and passion - and the whole over-the-top Christian thang, which bothered some, was just icing on the cake. In love with the boy. And then we saw this picture. Which changed everything. 'Cause Peyton Manning, possibly a Bronco? Tim WHO?
Pins and freaking needles for 10 days, people. ESPN on a nonstop loop (yeah, you know it is anyway around here, but, still). And then, lo and behold, all my wishes, all my dreams, all my quarterback coveting since the day this kid graduated from Tennessee, is ours. I try not to p ersonally appropriate him. I really do. But my fabulous Peyton, here, remaking Broncos football in his own likeness and image. No, really. 

No comments: