Monday, December 14, 2009

Just a Plain Good Time

If you're gonna study Native American cultures, eastern Colorado's your place. Clear Sky's 3rd graders descended upon the Plains Conservation Center in Aurora (mama's old stomping grounds, boo-yah!) to study all manner of culture on a ridiculously cold and snowy day.
Game face. He takes the Cheyenne tribe and all its accoutrements VERY seriously.
A replica of what home would have been for these folks...when I really want to scare myself and the kids on a cold day, I utter the magic three words: "Crossing the plains." If that thought wasn't sobering enough, imagine these folks, who aren't 'going' anywhere. This is where they were back in the day. By choice. Until they were driven off. Wow.
Bob the tour guide, who was informative and entertaining and noteworthy in every way. So impressed with the kids that they could properly identify the animal pictured behind him as a bison, then was crestfallen to learn it wasn't the product of good education, just brainwashing: Clear Sky's students are all Bison, and not a little proud of it.
Building a tee-pee. Tysie does this multiple times a year with scouts, I'm thinking his fellow teammates don't enjoy that advantage. Gratifying to see my boy take the helm in every group and activity, I think I've got a born leader on my hands. Must be daddy's genes.

2 comments:

Alyson said...

Kudos to the star tipi builder!

Tudi said...

Thanks for sharing your visit to the Plains Conservation Center. You captured the day very well. Come back when its warmer..we will be open for free on Saturdays beginning in April. Come enjoy the baby animals in Wells Crossing, our historic farm. "Cheep, cheep, baa, baa"