there's just something magical about that 5th year: everyone understands the concept of "party" and "enjoy." Very few guests are puzzled by the concept of leaving their mother's side in order to be one of a mass of giggly girls. And, truthfully, we could have spent the entire 2 hours Freeze Dancing because, baby, the best things in life ARE free.
As ever, the cake was the highlight...such good manners, these little ones. And, score! After everyone had daintily picked at their portions, the piglets who live on Candleglow Street had more than half of the cake to devour their own selves. Tee-hee.
Next to pictures of kids shoving pieces of unnaturally-colored cake into their mouths, my favorite party pix are always of pinata time. The sun never quite broke out behind the clouds, the tykes were all a-shiver, but busting open a paper-mache frog is always a major draw. They'll endure anything for a chance of beating it into a pulp.
And so ends what may very well be the last at-home birthday party the Crawfords ever throw: are we just getting old? Inordiately busy? 'Cause even the most basic of celebrations seems to be all that we can handle, and more. Remember the old days of 20+ kids running around our tiny California backyard for Eve, Ty, and Shane? We thank our lucky stars for our Gracie, but she's gonna get that short end of the stick, no fault of her own.



3 comments:
What is this Freeze Dancing you speak of? I can assume, but you know what that does to Uma Thurman.
Now I'm glad that I've never done birthday parties, because Macklin can't complain that Emma got 'em and he didn't. Because no one does. I'm just...so not the birthday party type. Sigh. I get all frozen up when I think of goodie bags, and I nix the entire endeavor.
My older kids think the opposite. They said that the twins got everything. LOL
Post a Comment