If you can believe it, Gracie's now 7. You can tell she's a true last child because I'm not even the least bit wistful about it. I don't know whether it's because 4 is definitely our threshold, or that all four came so closely on the heels of one another, but every time the little one closes one phase of development for another, I just feel this immense joy for her, and relief for myself.
So, two days after Christmas, we bundled up in the sub-Arctic air and headed 'to town' for our family party: dinner at Gunther Toody's (a family favorite for many moons, complete with canary yellow '66 Corvette, '50s soundtrack, and, apparently, waiters who make faces behind moms as they attempt to photograh the birthday girl).
After we had eaten burgers and fries and grilled cheeses, off to Brunswick bowl - Gracie, especially, loves the bowling ramp. And the bumpers. They keep one's score respectable.
Sweet little Gracie Lousie, the Caboosie. The best possible tail end to our conglomeration of personalities and agendas...from day one, the easiest of my children: laid back, agreeable, affectionate, obedient. Not without a pinch or two of sass, certainly, quick to stand up for herself, but, most importantly, also for others, which is perhaps my favorite trait. I've never seen someone so relish her role as baby, and so prone to rely on it when dealing with strangers or situations with which she is uncomfortable. But, really, she's my most independent Crawford, well-spoken, well-connected to her emotions and very precocious when sharing the details of her day. A recent favorite: 'Eve, my recital costume is TRICKED OUT!').
She's an actress, singer, dancer, artist and joker, the mascot of the family, the ray of sunshine wherever she goes, the baby girl Eve always knew would come, and the baby girl I prayed for. So blessed.



1 comment:
And look how long her hair is getting! Adorable.
Post a Comment