Monday, May 14, 2012

Toys

 Grace has turned into quite the thespian. This last February she starred in her second KidStage play at Clear Sky, a 'Toy Story' knock-off titled simply 'Toys'. She was an adorable sheep, one of Bo Peep's flock. And yes, those are bunny ears, tucked under to resemble, I guess in some small way, the head of a lamb. My new mantra, applied with varying degrees of success, is 'keep it simple.'
 Grace and Sophia. Sophia's mother's mantra is not 'keep it simple.' I admire her energy.
 As much as Eve has always professed a desire to act, she simply cannot stomach being in front of an audience. It wounds her soul. But Gracie is firmly in her element: broad, sincere smiles and giggles, beautiful recitation of lines, pure joy in the  process. There are no small parts, people. Only small actors.
 Patiently waiting for her certificate.
 Taking her bows. Seriously. Look at that smile. You could bottle that and sell it, for millions. I envy children for their purity and joy.
Dealing with your public, and their incessant clamoring for a piece of you - even just your signature - is trying. Or so I've heard.