Thursday, August 7, 2008

I Wanna Be a Part of It: New York, New York!

The real reason for the cross-country pilgrimage: to see the Angels beat the Yankees in their own stadium before they tear the sorry old history-laden monstrosity down. Didn't quite work out that way in the win/loss column, but at least we did it, and, truthfully, the Bronx, along with every other place we went, wasn't the death trap I had envisioned. If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere...
The why of it: come September, the brave co-captains of the Crawford Crew will have been married 15 (!) years; please hold your applause until the end of the presentation.
We wanted to take a trip to celebrate the blessed occasion, or, as Matt would put it, we needed an alibi; you can't just fly to New York to see a baseball game, can you?
Thanks to Matt's frequent travel, we had enough miles to fly first-class to NYC and stay for five days in a fabulous closet-sized hotel in the Midtown Manhattan theater district, just steps from: Times Square! Central Park! Rockefeller Center! The Chrysler Building! The Empire State Building! With easy-to access subway systems shuttling you to and fro!

And why wouldn't you use those points in mid-summer, what with New York's humidity level being so high, and every tourist in the free world sharing space with you and the already wildly over-populated residents of the afore-mentioned island?
30 Rockefeller Center. Look! It's Alec Baldwin!
Um, not sure about this one. But judging from the tourist response, we'll be hearing a lot about it in the years to come, believe you me! The statue bears a plaque reading "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free...", which is how every person crammed like a sardine on that ferry boat felt about New York in general at that very moment in time.
People often say I resemble Audrey Hepburn in every day life, but when I stood here, boy, you should have seen the stares and whispers of recognition. We were disappointed: no breakfast served here. Ever.

The World Trade Center experience was just as laugh-packed as I remember the National Holocaust Museum in D.C., as being, which is to say, not very. One would think I would have cried all the tears I was going to seven years ago.
Times Square, no hookers in evidence, and an Applebee's! Just what you come to Manhattan for!Check item #1 off the Bucket List: we saw Letterman! We don't believe in luck: called from Chicago to get on stand-by; landed; survived a taxi drive from LaGuardia; shoved our luggage in our closet/hotel room; ran down to the Ed Sullivan theater. We were 2nd and 3rd in line, and they took the first three...I sat on the third row and Matt on the last row to see Dave grill Pamela Anderson for a blissful 10 minutes. My seats were good, but not good enough to spot whether or not her physical prowess is the result of Mother Nature or some extracurricular activity.
My favorite memory is from our tour of Top of the Rock at 30 Rockefeller Plaza. While we waited for our elevator ride down, a tour guide is trying to pass the time with small talk: "Where are you from? Australia? Great!" "China? Ni-hao!" "Germany? Guten tag!" "Colorado?" A small intake of breath. "Wow. Sunny skies, trees, no humidity. Must be paradise." Exactly.

3 comments:

Kristie K. said...

LOVE the pictures! Congrats on anniversary & the child free trip....
I need to show these pictures to Garren, we went to Segerestom Hall with all the buliding and He said, "hey mom, we are in New York"

J said...

I am incredibly jealous! I'm happy you had such a great time. Thanks for the travel tips.

Alyson said...

OMgosh so much fun. If I'd known in advance I would have driven to Colorado and stealthily stowed away in the luggage and I'M SURE YOU WOULDN'T HAVE NOTICED if I were on your second (or subsequent) honeymoon with you.