Monday, November 3, 2008

Behold, the 8-Year-Old!

And the beat goes on...Ty turned 8 on the 12th. All the cliches are true: I can hardly believe he's this old, but, then again, I've been there for nearly every second of this precious kid's life, and, yup, he's definitely eight. Not a second younger.
Ty's a lot like me: not a big fan of food, just revisits the same 4 or 5 favorites, and never tries anything new, or an item that has touched another item, etc. His latest favorite: The Waffle House, so on his cold and rainy birthday, we invaded Castle Rock's ode to waffle-y goodness, and doesn't his expression say it all? My boy was in heaven!
The rest of us? Not so much. I should have opted to stay at that Holiday Inn Express, I need the smarter thing to happen.
Mom and Dad's gift: isn't this how all the greats got started? Lessons are sure to come, but he's dragging his feet somewhat on starting piano. Though we've tried to assure him that all real rock stars can pound the ivories, we secretly think he considers it a girl thing.
We broke down this year and did it: The Chuck E. Cheese (or Carlos E. Queso) party...the ultimate sell-out! And yet, didn't have to clean the house, plan activities, clean up...just got to enjoy my kids and many of their friends in an extremely loud and busy environment, devoid of all responsibility excepting the barest exhibition of manners and operation of the camera. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat, if everyone hadn't already done it before.
Typical Ty: Star Wars, dinosaurs, Mars Mission, tetherball, soccer, basketball, baseball, Transformers, bikes, McDonald's, Cinnamon Toasters cereal, lemonade, the wackiest sense of humor (his dad and I have NO idea where he gets it from)...love that kid!

2 comments:

J said...

Happy late birthday Ty! And happy birthday to Shane also. Wow, hard to believe the boys are 6 and 8.

Alyson said...

LOL! Same cake! Of course these are in reverse order so I didn't understand Shane's until I got here to Ty's. That's so wonderfully amusing to me.

We have a few birthdays that come on us like bam-bam-bam and totally bankrupt us, particularly considering that they're clustered in November-December-January and HELLO Christmas is nestled in there, too. So I'm glad, I'll admit it, to see another family with birthdays clustered. We can feel the pain together.