Monday, November 3, 2008

To Be Six Years Old Again

I always think I'd want to be a kid again, but not really, unless I was Shane. This kid is just fearless, unmarked by the daily insults and general overwhelm of the childhood experience, and just L-I-V-E-S. Love him and admire him both. He's the only Crawford I know, and we're talking about the entire family tree, who isn't mortified by the mere thought of the entire staff of Red Robin coming out to sing him a Happy Birthday. He'd be kind of insulted if they didn't.
One of his two birthday gifts from the parents: tetherball for the backyard, and electronic darts for the basement (part of our long-term plan to stock that happy room for all we hibernating Crawfords will need come winter).
My kindergartner, who just thinks his teacher, his school and his friends are the best in the world...we've had a great experience at Clear Sky, and are truly grateful. Our first year was not the easiest in terms of finding buddies for Shaney (or Gracie, or me, for that matter), but he's surrounded by a great crew, and loves every day and every new adventure.
A chip off the old brother...the family joke is that Shane has plenty of his own opinions until he hears Ty's.
This is so Shane, but even more so: it's a Star Wars game, and it's not mere fun, it's life-or-death.
A sketch of Shane: giggles, wrestling, scooters, Star Wars, playdates, soccer, swim, wishing for football, cars, legos, computer games, anything loud and funny. Shane's a constant joy.
You knew this picture was coming, right? You can take a kid to Chuck E. Cheese, but you can't leave without him. That oughta be a bumper sticker.

No comments: