Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I Love Sister, She Loves Me

Most days Matt and I are staggering across the finish line: too many bodies, too many agendas, too many clothes and shoes, too many extracurriculars, too many responsibilities. But then the magic moments come, illustrated in bold, as to why we live life the way we do: I couldn't imagine my life without even one of these littles, and I can't imagine their lives without one another and the things they love to do. It's beyond demanding and beyond exhausting, but the greatest gift we ever gave them is the gift of their siblings: their particular ages and genders, their particular personalities and dynamics all make for an amazing crew of people who, friends notwithstanding, make home where they always want to be.
Let's pretend for one second that I somehow control when my babies came to the world. Pause here to let your laughter run its course.
How easy would it have been to just stop at three? To have missed out on our young Grace Caroline would have just sabotaged the whole operation. Easier? Maybe. Emptier? For sure.
Eve, Ty and Shane were natural swimmers. Gracie's her mother's daughter, however, and it's been slow-going with getting her water-safe (which, because mommy can't swim, becomes a huge essential come summer), but these last three weeks of swim lessons have been phenomenal. Maybe it's Ms. Carolyn, maybe Gracie's just ready. Either way, rock on wit'cha bad self, girl!
Floating!
Freestyle!
Will the Crawfords add yet another Castle Rock Cruiser to the team next season?
Castle Rock's Fire Department sent some representatives and a huge pumper truck to library storytime for the kids' climbing and exploring pleasure...they took the time to suit up in front of the kids to prep them for any future emergency, when, maybe trapped in a room or a house, a little one wouldn't see some huge monster breathing in a mask, making Darth Vader noises, but a "firemens" coming to help them.
The most remarkable thing? Gracie was all over what I was sure would be termed a "boy" activity...maybe she's just starting early with the whole Fireman as Fantasy thing.

2 comments:

Alyson said...

Fireman as Fantasy—lol!

the greatest gift we ever gave them is the gift of their siblings

I feel the same way. In fact, it may have been the only gift I gave them; otherwise we live in a too-small house on a too-small income with a too-tired mom. :) But they have each other, when Mom says, "Can I have five minutes alone please?" (ignore the desperation in my voice) or "Ask Christian to get you a drink..." or "Can't Emma turn on that light?" etc.

J said...

You are awesome Linda. And I will laugh for you about timing the arrival of your children. If you'll just add one more to the brood....you can stay in the game/misery with us for a few more years.