Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Cub Scouts Are True

You'll think I'm saying it just to show off, but, truly, I absolutely love Cub Scout Day Camp. Not merely in theory, or even in the sense of shipping the fella boys off for a few days at the end of June so I can do girly things. I love Day Camp enough to volunteer for two of those days, once to be with the regular group of Cubs, such as the one pictured above...

and an additional day to accompany the Webelos, who count the handsome boy pictured here as one of their own.

Yeah, it's warm-ish. And rather like herding cats. So I can't explain why someone like me, who in every way imaginable, is strictly an 'indoor girl', gets such a kick outta it. Maybe due to the the little perks, such as the portable water spritzer Shane muscled away from its actual owner. It's hard to say.

New for the Webelos this year was the Tomahawk throwing, at which Ty acquitted himself quite ably, notwithstanding the unfortunate fact that the tomahawk itself outweighed him by a few pounds. The boys were kind of aggravated that I wouldn't hurl one my own self, but, as I reassured them gently, their parents would much rather they arrived home with toes intact.

I love Day Camp speak:
Permission to enter the range!
Permission granted!
The range is hot!
The range is cold!
It doesn't matter if the boys aren't firing anymore: the range, in late June, is NEVER cold.

It's almost amusing to watch the other adult volunteers who blow a gasket when the boys use the water to cool off and not to drink. Almost. Then it just gets ridiculous.

Saluting.

And thus ends Ty's Cub Day Camp experience. He's on to bigger and better things next year. Hopefully, from his standpoint, more dangerous things. But he'd definitely give this camp a 'Standing O'.

1 comment:

J said...

They look so much alike now (maybe it is the matching uniforms?) it is hard to tell them apart.

Looks like they loved camp.