The homies who earned the right to participate in the Mountain High Swim League Championships.
Grace's first season as a Castle Rock Cruiser - after a winter and spring of lessons, she felt ready, then attempted to swim in the first 'Fun Meet' and had a nervous breakdown. "Why don't you want to swim?" " 'Cause I suck!"
We spent an entire season of practices and meets trying to dispel the notion, and succeeded: once she had her confidence and ability, she was able to drop 16 seconds off of her freestyle, just by swimming straight through without stopping to hold the lane line. For each event in each meet she swam, she earned a "Super Swimmer" ribbon, which is a nice benchmark of progress: if you've taken off any time at all, even hundredths of a second, you're acknowledged. I love this league.
Following his first year of year-round club swimming, Shane was back on Cruisers in fine form: he's now the team record holder for the Boys' 8 and Under Backstroke. He spent the season collecting blue ribbons for every event he swam, qualified for the league championships in five events and chose to swim Back, Fly and 200 IM in that meet. His favorite event was the Boys' 8 and Under Relay, whom he helped propel to the League Championship.
He also earned five All-Star Times: Freestyle, Backstroke, Butterfly, Breast and IM...what a huge sense of accomplishment for him, and well-deserved, after a full year of swimming at least 4 nights a week. That's many hours of Wii-free time, my friends. Big sacrifice.
Crawford tats. All summer long my kiddos sport these Sharpie'd codes on the backs of their wrists. It makes for a stunning presentation in your Sunday Best, I'll tell ya what.
Swimming is a LOT of down time, but if it's one thing the Crawfords are blessed with, it's each other. They've got friends and acquaintances, but as long as they've got each other, they want for little. Their little universe of fun is always amazing to behold, and, if I was at all justified in taking credit, I would.
Can't. But I would.
Can't. But I would.



1 comment:
if it's one thing the Crawfords are blessed with, it's each other. They've got friends and acquaintances, but as long as they've got each other, they want for little.
I feel the same way about my kids. I wish I could say it was one of my great successes as a parent, but I can't; however, it is one of my great joys. :) Go little swimming Crawfords!
Post a Comment