Tuesday, July 26, 2011

You Swim Like a Girl

And we continue to watch our oldest child excel at swimming...this summer I took Eve on our first traveling meet, just a Thelma & Louise-type trip through the Rockies to Grand Junction, near the Utah/Colorado border. Beautiful and desert-y, Mesa State College has the biggest pool EVAH. Well, not evah. But pretty dang big.

The meet consists of morning swims, in which, if you place in the top 22, you are invited to return that evening to swim in the finals. Eve was able to swim in the 12 and under girls final on Friday night, which was a real pat on the back for our hard-workin' little mama.

Eve and Cala, cuttin' loose.

She swam exceptionally well, but if I had to bet what her favorite moments were, it was when she and I sat in the hotel room, downing huge plates of pasta from Caruso's, watching HGTV. 'Cause that's how we roll, my girl and I: just hanging out is the best time we could have. That and hitting the discount mall in Silverthorne on the way home.

I don't care what you say: seeing your child's name on a lit scoreboard never gets old.

3 comments:

Alyson said...

Rah rah rah go Eve! But you know, I think it's true: she'll remember a lot more about that trip than the swim meet. In 15 years we may all be surprised what the most meaningful things are.

J said...

Way to go Eve!!

Judy and Mike said...

What a champ. Congratulations!